Pretend You Live ALone
So often I hear family members complain about how others
make a mess and are not willing to help with the cleanup. They want things done
a certain way at a certain time and feel upset, blaming everyone else who lives
in the house for this mood.
When they come to me as clients, they believe that I have
magic powers that will instantly change everyone but don't expect what I have
to say about their dilemma.
I frequently see looks of surprise when I tell them that I
live alone and therefore don't have anyone to blame when the place is messy. I
also don't have anyone to pick up or organize everything. When you live alone,
you don't waste a lot of time feeling resentment of others who might not have
done things when or how you would have done them.
However, here are some hints to help deal with the domestic
tasks:
Meet with everyone living in the household and set out a
list of items that need to be done as well as the timeframe to complete them.
Let each person decide what they are willing to do and put
their name on the list next to the item chosen. Make sure that they are not
just making a false promise but understand truly what it expected.
Select appropriate and realistic consequences for not
completing the task on time. For example, the movie isn't watched until it is
done. Outings are delayed or cancelled.
Be consistent and never make an exception on consequences
(or you will be setting a precedent for the future).
Get rid of the things that are causing the most work. If
there is too much laundry, perhaps it is because you have too many clothes. Too
much on the floor perhaps indicates too many toys. Dusting taking too long -
declutter!
Use your machines. I view my appliances as free labour. All
I need to do is load the dishwasher and I get almost a half hour of unpaid
kitchen help. The washing machine gives me about twenty minutes of work that I
don't need to do or supervise, and the dryer provides another sixty minutes of
unpaid labour. All I need to do is invest a few minutes to fill each machine
and push the buttons.
Make chores fun. Instead of nagging or feeling annoyed, try
setting a timer to see how much can be accomplished before it rings.
Plan a reward for everyone when the tasks are completed. A
board game, movie or cup of hot chocolate can be motivation.
Hold yourself accountable. Make sure that you have done what
you are committed to do before complaining about others.
Practice and teach habits for cleaning your environment as
you go.
Comments
Post a Comment